Friday 4 September 2015

Why I Love Reading

Hey everyone!

As promised, I return with another post that isn't titled "Where I've been"! Whilst I may have been stuck for creativity in these posts, one idea just occurred to me after having finished The Hunger Games for the second time; why do I sit and spend my nights reading? My response to most people when I get asked this is "Because I enjoy it" but I mean... That's not exactly worthy of a full post is it? So I thought I'd try and explain it a bit better.

Now, you can check my Book Challenge page to see what books I've read this year. I keep a full track of them, with a word count and an average books per month (I'm good at maths, I thought it should be included). Anyone can see from the books I've read, that universes / series are what I read most; Mortal Instruments is possibly the best example. Don't get me wrong, I love standalone books as well (All The Bright Places, I'm looking at you!) but series appeal to me more and there is a reason for that; immersion.

There is something I always look for in a book and that's whether I can immerse myself in it. Lets say there are two highly rated books in front of me, but I can only afford one. One book is set in a parallel universe to our own and is part of a six book series. The other book is also set in a parallel universe but is a standalone book. I will almost always choose the first book because I can immerse myself in that universe. When I read series, I can imagine myself living as part of that world. There was a night during The Mortal Instruments section of the year where I dreamed I was one of the Nephilim - I was part of the Shadowhunter universe.

Everybody has something to help them cope in life. Something that provides an escape from this world for a short amount of term - books are my escape. I can immerse myself in a book and imagine I'm there. Dystopian books to me (Divergent, Hunger Games etc.) are the best for this. It's a world where nothing is really like ours because most of the time, the world has changed so much.

And that, is why I love reading! If you haven't already, check out my book challenge page and spread the word about the blog, it'd be great to start having traffic again!

Love you all,
Ems!

1 comment:

  1. Well when you put it like that, I might just have to start reading too!

    ReplyDelete